Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bike Transport Successful


Yesterday I didn't have the time to unpack the bike, so I took an hour this morning and pulled it out of the box (along with a TSA inspection notice, guess they wanted to see what was inside the large suitcase)    

I should probably first say a few words about what I did for bike shipping.    My friend Michael loaned me his excellent Sunlite hard shell bike luggage.   You have to dissamble the bike, removing (and deflating) the wheels, detaching the handlebar, removing the seat post, and although I maybe didn't have too, I took off the rear derailluer.   The whole bike then fits in the luggage, which Al Italia shipped for a 150 Euro extra charge.

I was pleased this morning to find no damage at all to the bike, and it reassembled perfectly in about half an hour.  Here's a pic of Steve's bike in my friend Manuel's aparment.   I didn't have time to take it for a spin, but tomorrow I think I'll go around the Colleseo and take a few photos.

No comments: