Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Foggy morning for day 3

I just finished a beautiful breakfast with fresh ricotta and honey, a type of fruit called "il cacco", a delicious custard and chocolate torte, and cherry tomatos with oil from the locanda and frsh bread. I had my map spread out next to me and would take a few bites, then study the map for a bit considering my options for the day, then take a few more bites.  Yes it was heaven.

I'm going to head up towards Montepulciano, Pienza and Montelcino today.   The forecast is nice today, increasing cloudiness tomorrow, and rain on Thursday, so I only have two days to ride. So, from my destination tonight, I can either head south to the spa at Saturnia if Manuel comes as he was planning and gives me a lift back to Rome, or I can try a long ride to reach Florence and take a train back to Rome. 

The bike is performing well.  I've had to adjust the brakes tighter (these descents hurt my forearms I need to squeeze the brakes so much), and I adjusted the pannier position forward for better balance.  I'm pleased with the 25mm tires, and I'm very happy that I dropped a new cassette on the back with a 34 tooth large cog.  My bottom gear is at 23 inches.  Next time I'll also change out the small ring, I could use even lower gearing, one guide book suggested trying to get as low as 18 and I now agree.   The engine is strong and getting stronger, legs feel great after an easier spin yesterday. 

OK, on to packing my saddle bags and its off.

No comments: