Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Giro is finished!

Roma- Firenze.  About 250 miles / 400km.  4 1/2 days, maybe about 23 hours pushing the pedals. Biggest climbs, most fun descents, and most beautiful roads I have ridden in my life. What a marvelous experience and thank you, thank you, thank you Marilyn for encouraging me to do this. 

I'm sitting on the regional train sharing a 6 seat compatment with a cyclist of a much different order. He's been around the world once and is halfway around it again. I'll take a pic of his modified custom bike, he carries about 90 kilos. We're having fun talking about biking and Italy. He left Tulsa Oaklahoma 6 years ago and is working his way around the world playing music. Right now he has his accordion out and the miles are flying by.

Its 4 hours to Rome on the slower regional train.  The Eurostar does it in 1.5 hours but you can't take a bike.  We're stopping in every little town, and just reached Chuisi, my alternate destination for yesterday. The sun is out down here, and the warmer air feels refreshing from an open window further up in the car.  I'm pleased its taken awhile, if it had been 20 minutes to Chuisi say on the Eurostar it would have made my big ride seem a little shorter. On this train, each hour of travel equals about 1 days ride.

What can I say about Florence this morning.  Its beautiful as always. The crowds were maddening, and I had to walk my bike at points.  I found a bar near the station for a spremuta and piece of pizza rossa. I stayed in front of the Duomo for 15 min, just admiring the stupendous facade. 

Then it was on to the station for the 13:09 to Rome, we get in around 4:45. I rode Steve's bike right into the building and over the marble floors, a unique ending to the trip. Fare to Rome?  15 eu plus 3,50 for the bike. You gotta love it.

No comments: