Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 1 dinner

I'm sitting in da Saverio right next to the church in San Martino al Cimino. I've just finished my antipasto and I can feel the energy returning to my body - I really was feeling quite low an hour back.

Da Saverio is in a building dating from the 1600s. It used to be a cantina where they made and stored wine.  Saverio constructed the restaurant 20 years ago, and took pains to keep all the original details. There are large stone arches that have supported the ceiling for 400 years. And, this being Italy, from the old wooden beams they've hung a video projector and they just switched it on because the Roma Inter game just started.  The large family next to me asked them to raise the volume, and the room has filled up.

Most people are eating pizza, but instead I've ordered a thick piece of vitello alla brace, roast potatos, and radiccio al forno.  Along with a full liter of water (I lost a lot of hydration this afternoon), and a half of the local red. 

Its amazing to watch the level of soccer over here.  Roma is tradionally strong but has lost Totti to injury, and without their Tom Brady they are struggling this year.  But they are playing an inspired game anyway.  They went down a goal early when the keeper came out and misjuded a breakaway, but it hasn't slowed them down and they are threatening all the time.   

The food has come and I can't believe I not only ate it all but ordered a dessert.  It was all great. The only thing I didn't finish was the wine, a half liter was a bit too much ( I drank all the water though). I guess 6 hours on the road takes it out of you. 

It's now half time, 1-0 Inter.  I'm asking for the conto, hitting send on this email, it will go out when I get out from the thick walls.  And then I'm going to head back to the hotel and get an early nights sleep. 

Tomorrow, hmmm, Pitigliano?

Buono notte.

No comments: