Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Day 4 morning

Good morning readers.   Its a bright and beautiful day in Tuscany, and I've been up having breakfast and looking around the lovely grounds here. 

I've also been considering my options for today.   What threw me off last night and had me riding in the dark was that this hotel was listed in Asciano but actually is about 12km further east, almost to Sinalunga.  Technically I could reach Florence, but with the extra 12km it looks to be 100 - 120 km with more than a few pretty good climbs. My riding guide book makes it two full days from Asciano to Firenze, if I were here to train I would try to knock it off today.

But, I'm on vacation.  So, instead I could strike for the climb to Cortona this morning.  Three different Italian friends have recommended the town, and the chef last night said it's anche piu carina than Pienze. Then its a descent to Montepulciano, then Chianciano Terme, and finally Chuisi. Trains leave direct for Rome every hour from Chuisi, so I could plan to get back tonight and not have to ride if it  rains tomorrow.

Or I could start for Firenze, make it most of the way, and stop towards the evening.

I think I'll pack up, head to the road and see which way the wheels turn.

No comments: