Saturday, October 11, 2008

Prepping for the Italy tour

I leave Tuesday for the tour in Italy.   In a bit I'll write more about the cycling plans, but for now it's been a big week of preparing (along with wrapping up work activities).

Here's how I've been categorizing the different types of the preparation for a trip like this:
  • Prep the bike.   I make several equipment and gear changes in the last week, details and pics to come (if I get time).   I've also learned how to pack the bike for transport.
  • Prep the engine.   That's been an ongoing activity all summer.  If the legs aren't ready by now, it's too late.
  • Learn about touring.  I've been through 4 cycle touring books in detail, gleaning what I can about how to do it.
  • Think about the routes.   I've pulled out the TCI Italy maps and the Michelin red book and been studying them when I have the time.   The goal for this trip is to make it up as I go, but this makes it more important to have a good sense of the options.
It's all coming together and I think I'll be prepared.   The big open question is the weather, and depending on what I find I can adjust the route plans accordingly (e.g. I might go south instead of touring Tuscany and Umbria if rain is forecast).

A couple more training rides, a bit more packing, and Tuesday evening I'm off!

No comments: